Header image  
Built in 1794 by Ralph Slater  
  ::           Volunteers            Friends of Marsh Mill            Marsh Mill Gallery
   
 
Brief History

Marsh Mill was commissioned by local landowner Bold Hesketh of Rossall Hall and built in 1794 by Fylde Millwright Ralph Slater. Marsh Mill was named after the marshy area in the north Fylde that was drained by Hesketh for the mill's construction. Slater was a well-known millwright in the area; he also built mills at Pilling and Clifton. The mill was initially used to grind different grades of flour. From the early 19th century, it was used to grind meal for farm animal feed. In the 19th century, the original chain and wheel winding gear was replaced with a four bladed fantail.The original common sails were replaced with patent sails in 1896. The mill stopped working in the 1920s. From 1928–1935 Marsh Mill functioned as a café. In 1930, two women who intended to buy the mill fell and died while inspecting it when the fantail staging collapsed when they stood on it.

It was designated a Grade II* listed building by English Heritage on 24 March 1950. The Grade II* designation—the second highest of the three grades—is for "particularly important buildings of more than special interest". Beginning in 1965, a 20 year restoration took place by the Marsh Mill Preservation Society. Further restoration was completed in 1990, bringing the machinery to full working order. It has been described as the "best preserved" and "finest" windmill in the north-west of England. English Heritage have called it "an exceptionally complete example of a tower windmill in a national context".

Open every weekend & bank holidays

10.30am to 4.30pm Admission to Ground Floor FREE First floor FREE Kiln Gallery FREE
* * * * * * * * * * *
Take a guided tour to the top
Adults: £1.50
Children: 75p.
Concessions: 75p.
N.B. Children must be 5 years or over to go up. Children’s activities available if accompanied by an adult. Enquiries: 01253 887445 Or 01253 777950